The Weingut Nik Weis - St. Urbans-Hof in Leiwen is a remarkable wine estate in many respects. It was founded by Nik's grandfather (who was also called Nik Weis, a family tradition that has been maintained over the years) and named in honour of the patron saint of winemakers. The family originally ran a farm producing a variety of crops, but decided to specialise in winegrowing after the Second World War. This change of direction led to the construction of a new building just outside Leiwen, since the old farm (in the centre of the village) had grown too small. It was designed by the architect Schulte working in collaboration with Erich Krämer, the founder of the European Academy of Fine Arts in Trier. The building completed in 1953 is noteworthy as one of the very rare cellars from this period on the Moselle.
Every decade, a new building respecting the local architectural style (half-timbering, slate, etc.) is built to ensure that the facilities keep up with the company's growth. Nik Weis is currently planning to renovate the old press room to accommodate more people, as visitor numbers are already high in the tasting room with exposed beams supporting a pitched roof.
Nik Weis is both a renowned winemaker (he is a member of the Verband Deutscher Prädikatsweingüter) and a committed nurseryman. He is on a mission to preserve Riesling's genetic heritage by taking cuttings from the oldest vines he can find. He has already saved around a hundred varieties, a treasure that will secure the future of the king of Moselle grape varieties.
Horaire d'ouverture :
Find a selection of wine villages, wine estates, restaurants and overnight accommodations in the vicinity of the wine estate.
Some information is imported from other Websites/pages. We are not responsible for the content of the external links.